The number is from the NBDA annual retail survey, based on 287 completed and qualified questionnaires from a random sample of 1,996 bike stores.
Other survey highlights issues for dealers:
- Supplier relations seem to be pretty good with this group, with 68% saying there is no problem with suppliers, and 25% saying there is a minor problem and only 6% ready to rumble with a major problem.
- Half of the dealers say they have no problem with the fairness of the dealer agreements they have with vendors, while 37% say it’s a minor problem and 12% citing a major problem.
- Competition from mass merchants is a major problem for 38% of the stores, though the majority, 48%, relegate mass merchants to minor problem status.
- The dealers seem to be pretty happy with the riding opportunities in their areas overall. 42% say places to ride is no problem for them, with 38% saying it’s a minor problem and 19% a major problem.
- The rising cost of insurance concerns 80% of the dealers.
- Advocacy is very important to 27%, somewhat important to 48%, and not important to the rest.